Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Flower Beauty Nail'd It Nail Lacquer Review


So here's one of many upcoming reviews, though how many of those reviews will be in blog form, I do not yet know. I went to Walmart a few days ago to get some Flower Beauty products. Flower Beauty is a new line of cosmetics by Drew Barrymore. A quote from their site reads:

 "You no longer have to spend a lot of money to get the quality cosmetics you want and deserve."

I got a few different products, but today I'm going to start with the nail polish, or the Nail'd It Nail Lacquer.

I got two, one in That's Just Dan-de-lion, and one in Gorgeous Gerbera.





As far as first impressions go, I'm not a fan of the bulky white top. It's a hollow plastic - which makes the polish sound cheap and makes me afraid to move them around much/open them for fear of breaking them.
These are the swatches on white paper. They each took a couple coats to get the color there.


Another issue I had was their choice of sticker placement. Above you can see there's directions and info on the product.. but I found it on accident. This clear sticker is under the barcode info sticker, so when I removed the barcode on Gorgeous Gerbera, both stickers lifted and I didn't think twice about it. Until I removed the barcode on That's Just Dan-de-lion. That's when I found this sticker. But I was too impatient to read it at the time - I just wanted to open this stuff and get moving! - so I took a quick pic and moved on. It's frustrating to have to destroy this sticker. They should have made it smaller to fit on the base of the bottle. But then, at least there's a product name at the bottom of the nail polish bottles, unlike some of the other products - which I'll get to later.
 I chose to do all but my third finger on my left hand in Gorgeous Gerbera - the third finger is That's Just Dan-de-lion. Then I did the reverse on my right hand.

I didn't put a top coat on the nails this time, I wanted to see how they'd hold up without.


All in all, Gorgeous Gerbera is an okay polish. It doesn't have any shimmer to it, and it went on very streaky. I actually needed 4-5 coats in order to get the coverage I wanted. The up side - and the main reason it's "okay" - is that it does dry faster than normal polishes, so I didn't have to wait as long to add another coat. It is a gorgeous color though. Perfect for springtime. (It so isn't springtime in these photos. It was 10 degrees F outside, so forgive the last few pictures, I was taking them left handed and I was so cold I was trying to get them done as quick as possible.)

Here we have the reverse of my left hand - That's Just Dan-de-lion on all but my third finger, which is in Gorgeous Gerbera.

My nails are so much shorter on this hand. lol.


I'd have to give That's Just Dan-de-lion a better than okay status, if I compare it to Gorgeous Gerbera. While I'm not as fond of the color as I am of the former, it's a shimmer and so it didn't apply streaky. It's just as quick to dry as the other, but this color didn't seem as strong, it was more sheer, so I still needed 4-5 coats to get it to look like the color in the bottle.



So overall, these polishes are nothing special. There are other fast drying nail polishes on the market that are just as affordable, (if not cheaper) and work just as good. I wouldn't outright recommend these to my friends -  BUT... if you see a shade you really like, then why not give it a try? Mayhaps you'll be more successful with them than I was. :)

(EDIT 2/24/13: I have now worn these polishes for over a week without a clear top coat, and there is very minimal chipping. That's a definite plus.)

I also did a video review of this product, which I'll embed here,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy