Thursday, March 6, 2014

PolishPETS Craving Rainbows Edition - review (pic heavy)

STORY TIME! Followed by lots of pictures.

Back in January, I won a BIC Pen and a gift card for $25 from BIC. While I was waiting for the prize, I told myself that I would use the gift card on polishes I've wanted - namely, a couple from my 2014 beauty wishlist.

Aaaaaand then PolishPETS came along and changed that.

PolishPETS is the brainchild of Lynx Cosmetics. They are indie polishes that are also adorable little furry pets with individual names. I am a sucker for plushies, and I'm addicted to nail polish, and here these were, the best of both worlds!! I had spent the majority of February ogling pictures of said PETS via instagram, and when the launch date and time was finally released, I jumped at it, contributing to the first release being sold out in five minutes.

There were three PolishPETS to choose from during the initial launch:


The Cute Crime Edition, the Craving Rainbows Edition, and the Perky Pink Edition.


So I spent quiiiite a long time tryyyying to decide which pet I wanted for my own! At almost $20 with shipping included, this polish is the most expensive polish I've ever allowed myself to buy, and I just wasn't sure if I could allow myself to get more than one, so I had to make a choice. But which to choose?

Each PolishPET has its own polish unique to the edition. If I was looking at the polishes alone, I liked Perky Pink's pink medium holo the best. But I wasn't looking at polishes alone. I was also looking at the furry pet, and Perky Pink was my least favorite of the three. I liked the Craving Rainbows pet the best, but it was my least favorite polish. So I had to ask myself, do I go with my favorite polish? Or my favorite pet? Or do I go with second best for both?

Truth be told, the main reason I liked Craving Rainbows and Cute Crime more than Perky Pink was because of the eyes. Or eye. I LOVED the one-eyed look in these two pets. And it inevitably came down to the look of the pet, because I chose Craving Rainbows in the end. Both his coloring and his one eye just charmed a way in to my heart.

I spent the rest of last week being super excited for my new PolishPET to come home to me. Later that week, I found out that there was another release happening on Friday, with two new PolishPETS to choose from. I... couldn't help but feel a twinge of regret. Had I waited just a few more days, I would have had more to choose from, but I didn't know how often these were going to be restocked. (Scofflaw, for instance, only restocks once a month-ish) So I didn't think too much on it.

And then Saturday came around, and I started seeing pictures of PolishPETS finding their new homes. Mine did not reach me by then, but knowing some already arrived made me extra excited for Monday to come around. Until.... I saw a picture of someone's Craving Rainbows PolishPET. It had two eyes. And I felt panic.

If you go to each PolishPET on the site now, you'll see a disclaimer that reads:

"Pet may be different than picture shown.
 PolishPETS may come with ears, extra accessories, different eyes including color or number of eyes. (If you prefer 1 or 2 eyes, please make a note in the comments)"


But that wasn't the original disclaimer. It had been changed since Saturday, and probably because of my stupidity. Originally, the disclaimer mentions the ears, extra accessories, and color of eyes... but not the number of eyes. And so, it never once occurred to me that number of eyes might change as well. I should have understood the first sentence to mean that number of eyes may be different as well, but that just didn't happen in my brain. If it had, I would have asked sooner. Instead, I asked on Saturday, with my PolishPET already on its way to me. I was heartbroken. The main reason I chose what I did was because of the eyes. And now the dread set in as I realized my PolishPET was likely coming with two eyes.

I received my PolishPET on Monday. And I tried to accept the inevitable two-eyed pet in the box as I opened it and remembered to take lots of pictures.

Here's the box, and there it is open, you can see the my new pet's boxcage peeking through the bubble wrap.

My new PolishPET was named Sweetling.

And there's a little peekhole in the front of the cagebox (boxcage?) with some fur poking through.


The bottom of the PolishPET


A closeup of the bottom so you can see the polish inside.


The back of Sweetling.


The top of Sweetling.


And the front. I puffed out his fur to take the picture here.

Then for this pic I tamed the sides a bit, I like the way he looks better this way.

A closer up view of his eyes.


The back of his hair, tamed.


The other side of the little nametag.


The boxcage cagebox:
It's made of a pretty thin material, maybe a bit thicker than a brown paper bag you'd get when you're baging your groceries at the store. So take care when using it.


The boxcage is to help with actually using the polish without having to worry about getting the fur covered in polish or vice versa. So I stuffed Sweetling back in his box to start my swatching.
Then you open the cap, close the box back up over the bottle, and use the polish like that.

Here he is back in his box. Please ignore the mess behind the table. Ha.
I saw a picture on instagram that showed someone only covering they pet with the top, rather than putting him back in the box completely, which certainly sounds like a good idea, as getting him in there carefully without accidentally pulling at some of the thinner, more fragile pieces of fur was tricky.


Here's a pic of the polish on the brush:

The site description:

"Our Craving Rainbows Edition PolishPETS come in a rainbow tipped faux fur and are filled with a pearly gold base, matte rainbow glitters, metallic rainbow glitters, gold holographic hex glitters and silver holographic dust."


The base looks like a pale, shimmery yellow, and it has a boatload of different colored/shaped glitters.


And here come the swatches!!



My thumb has one coat, my index finger has one coat but it was dabbed on, my middle finger has two coats, and my last two fingers have three coats.


Look at all the different colored glitters! There's even a very slight holo in it.


And here's a couple of less blurry shots of my one-coated thumb:

The multi-glitters remind me of confetti. I can see this polish being great as an accent or an all-over look for parties/birthdays.



And me trying to hold Sweetling while showing off the swatch, which turned out to be sort of tricky. lol




Overall... sad to say, I'm disappointed. Although mostly in myself.  The polish is lovely, but not for me. And I just can't get over the fact that Sweetling has two eyes instead of the one that I loved so much. I essentially feel like I chose the pet over the polish, and the pet I got wasn't the one I chose. Guess I was taught a lesson. I should have waited a week. There's another release with more PolishPETS editions this week. Had I waited, I would have caught the eyes, and been able to adjust my order accordingly. I can't believe I missed that.


Sweetling is currently sitting on my desk, right under my monitor, staring at me. I'm trying to see if he'll grow on me. Because, as of right now, I'm considering putting him up for sale/adoption. And most likely at a loss on my end. I'm thinking $16 with shipping included. Then maybe I might put the money towards adopting a new PolishPET, and choose a one eyed version. *shrug* I don't know. I told myself I'd think it through first.





Ways to check out PolishPETS: (Only available in the US and Canada)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy