Wednesday, October 14, 2009

costumed dollies


The Joker in The Dark Knight was awesome. Heath Ledger did a wonderful job. Really.




Did you know if you're in the US, you could order flat rate boxes for free from usps.com? I only recently found this out, and decided to order some boxes... in the small chance I may need them. I am absolutely terrible at imagining sizes based on dimensions given, so I ordered the maximum.... which... thinking now... sounds.... like a lot.... 500 boxes. ROFLMAO. I got a few of the small boxes one day, and then the next day a few more of the small boxes came in, and I figured that was it, cuz I had forgotten how many I ordered. It was funny, because I kept having to explain them to my family. Then a couple days later.... I get the rest of the boxes...

Tada! I had received only 6 of those smaller packages before the rest arrived. And then I had to re-explain. lol. So now all of those boxes are in the dining room - the room that I have hi-jacked to use for my crafts. I'm a bit tired of the lack of light in the basement, even though I've got three lamps with the shades removed, one desk light, and the main light all on at once. *shrug* So now I'm in the dining room. No one seems to mind... I don't think. Well, I suppose my brother might hate it, but hey whatever, we don't use that room for 363 days a year. Thanksgiving and Christmas would be the only times we ever use it. It's not like he has a problem with me using the space though... it's the fact that I'm not exactly the neatest when I've taken over an area to play... meh.


That is my paint station... while it's clean... I should take a picture of it now. Hahaha. It's just a small end table in my defense... but yeah.... it's so sad how my stations get progressively smaller. All that paint doesn't normally stay with me though, it usually stays in my dad's room, on his desk, so that he can use it for his sticks.


So I spent days and days on the costumes, and finally finished them! All FOUR. Hahaha. Was incredibly frustrating, because I can not sew at all. The small bit of sewing I did do started coming apart, so I ended up using glue for almost everything. Lemme show pictures, so that I may speak of specifics.

Yaaaay... so I decided GemmaNoire would not be Gemma Noire this time. Noire is now Corrine. Scarlett is Gemma, and Hathar is Etti. Technically speaking, Scarlett and Hathar were supposed to be on the opposite doll... and the two outfits were supposed to be switched too... but upon beginning the corsets for the Bride and the Pirate, I made the last minute decision of switching them. With the hopes that the GemmaScarlett Bride outfit might actually somewhat fit an ED. The pirate outfit is so terribly done, and Etti's so much bigger, that I can't hope much of anything for that one. lol. And Dorothy is a three piece outfit. It's possible that it might fit an ED, but it's not very flattering. lol.


There's them without their faces. Haha. I'd like to also mention the ANNOYINGness of the crappy stands I made for Etti and Gemma. I spent all this time straightening wire hangers, then I actually used powers tool for the first time ever, to cut two pieces of wood. I sanded the wood a bit, then drilled two holes in to each of them. Then I yanked the wire through so the wire was basically bent in half, then twisted the two halves together. But I measured wrong, and had to change them so many times, then they weren't very secure... was just major ugh. Gemma's stand is actually wrapped around her under her boobs and under the bodice. Which makes the bodice not sit right, though you can't tell too much by the picture. And Etti's is so tempermental... she fell half a dozen times during my picture taking. Actually, I finally found a way to keep her up... At the fireplace (where I was taking the pics) there's a little porcelain dog... you can actually see it a bit in this picture:

Anyhoo, it's fairly heavy, so I stuck that on the wood, and hid him with Etti's skirt. That's why the bottom of her skirt in those pics are so poofy. lol.


Corrine is Dorothy. I made a clay Dorothy shoe to replace her normal red boot. Also made her an under dress, which is made of child size footless tights. So the bottom of the under dress has lace. The skirt isn't attached to the jumper part, because it's just easier to mess with that way. Her hair is only temporary - it's my dark brown wool. And then there's a basket with Toto in it. Hehe


Etti is a pirate. The outfit is based on a costume I wore three years back. Here's the only pic I could find of me in the outfit:

I took the pic in the car while waiting for the boyfriend to get off work. The plan was: me and the bf, my bro and his gf, and two of my friends, were all going to see the latest Saw. (Saw... 3? I think) The two friends decided to see the movie beforehand though, and didn't want to see it again. So they bailed. It was a bit upsetting, because the whole point of the trip was to see everyone in their outfits. So they were going to wait until after the rest of us were done with the movie, then meet up with us again, and we'd all go out to eat. So, me and the bf, and my bro and his gf, went to the movie. Oh boy... I didn't get far in to it. It was too... painful and gross. The bf and I ended up having to leave early. Only to find out my two friends already ate. Thanks for waiting. Ha. So we got frustrated, and went to eat.... only to realize that we were frustrated at my friends for basically ditching us... and we'd just done the same thing to my bro and his gf. ...Damn. I still feel bad for that.

Anyhoo, the hat and sword is made of clay. I regret the way I made the sword, I made it without a skeleton of anysort, so it feels very fragile. I love the hat, but I had made it using Gemma as the model, so it doesn't quite fit Etti. Mayhaps I'll take a pic of Gemma wearing the hat some time. Etti's hair is only temporary, it's orange wool that was kindly given to me by mayple. :)


Gemma was a bride. I was a bride in.... second grade I think? I wore my mom's wedding dress. I shot up around 1st or second grade, was the same height as my mom, then shortly after I stopped growing. But my mom figured that was the only time I'd ever be able to wear her dress. So yep. Her dress looked nothing like this dress though. And my original plans for this dress is slightly different, but meh, it works. The bodice is made of paper mache, (so is Etti's corset... except the area with the string... that's just fabric glued underneat the corset) the skirt is attached to the bodice by glue. There's an underskirt, which is made of some lace and tulle. I'm not sure if it actually does anything, but meh. The bouquet is made of clay, with wire stems, and have some of the lace used in the bodice wrapped around it. She's wearing Etti's hair, because I wanted her hair to be curly, and Gemma's normal hair is straight. But Etti is bigger than Gemma, so I had to use a bit of glue to keep the hair on. lol.



A closeup of Toto... what a failure that was. LOL. I tried making him without any references. And then I used a texturing technique I'd never done before... which took six HOURS... and once he was done.. I realized poor Toto looked more like a bear. lol. Oh well. I tried my hardest to paint the basket entirely, but dag-nabbit, I actually weaved together strips of clay for it, so I can't seem to get in between some of those pesky strips. lol. The flowers are wildflowers are real, I didn't make them, they come right out. I found them in our front yard and thought they were adorable. They might be aster... I looked up flower meanings online (for another purpose) and happened across them, and they look a lot like them. Elegance and Love... Just in case you were curious. lol.


A closeup of Gemma's flowers. This was why I was looking up flower meanings.
There's calla lilies: "Magnificent Beauty"
Stephanotis: "Marital Happiness"
And White Roses: "Charm and Innocence"
I looked them up before making them. I wasn't sure I wanted to make roses, but meh.



A shot of the bottom half of the pic. The leaves, berries... flower... the "outside" stuff is all real, I wandered outside for a quick walk to find them. Except the rose in front - my mom has a bouquet hanging upside down from a kitchen light (NO idea why) - and the pumkin, which was bought at walmart for 60 cents.


Linny's outfit is probably my favorite outfit... which is sad. LOL.


A closeup of the candies and cookies. Teehee. There's three red berries in there that aren't made of clay, they're real.



So Yeah... Linny is a ninja turtle. She's Raphael. This is a flashback to yesteryear. I was Raphael when I was 5. Everyone asked me the same effin' question, which really pissed me off: "There's a girl ninja turtle??" NO! There ISN'T! I just happen to like the RED ONE, got a PROBLEM WITH THAT!?!?! Ugh. Okay, so I was a tomboy when I was younger. I tell ya though, I learned my lesson, I was never a "boy" for Halloween again. Technically speaking... I think there may have eventually been a female ninja turtle, who was light blue... but I can't be sure, and I think that was years after my appearance as Raph.

I find it funny that Linny's is my favorite costume, because it was the most simple to make. I paper mache'd her shell, painted it, attached it to her with the "belt" - which is actually painted aluminum foil, then used thin balloons for the rest of it. You know, the balloons used in balloon animals? Yep. It was a bitch getting the green bits on, but the red bits were fairly simple, because they were smaller. Then her... er... sai (had to look up the spelling... the little mini sword things) are made of clay.

And... that's it for now! It's 11:30 and I wanna do some more clay painting before bed. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy