Monday, March 25, 2013

St Patrick's Day and Detroit

So I've been saying over and over that on St. Patrick's Day, I was going to Chicago to watch the river get dyed and to see the parade. I done did that. We left around 7:45 am, picked up a couple friends, and met up with a few more friends in Chicago. Thought I'd share some pictures here, though not as many as the ones I have up on Facebook.



 Craaazy! I didn't get many good shots of the dyeing this year - that's actually something I learned this year.... if you go to an event alone, you're more likely to get much better pics... but you're also alone. A group decides where to go and results in having to settle for what you can get... but you're with your friends and most likely having fun... so I suppose it's an okay trade. lol. Anyhoo, I would have liked to head more west to take pictures of the boat that was dyeing the river, but no one else wanted to go that way.










From there, we headed towards the Bean at Millennium Park, only to find out it was closed off with police tape, so there went our plans to take photos at the Bean. We'll have to go back sometime. After a quick bathroom break, we headed to the parade. We were over an hour early, and the group decided to stop in the very middle of the parade path, despite my want to go to the beginning. We weren't in the very front, but somewhere around the second row, so not so bad.








Woot! This is C2E2, which I definitely plan on attending next month. Looking forward to it. :)

We left before the end, which saddened me, but everyone was so cold and had to use the bathroom again... and because we were not at the beginning, we kept seeing large gaps between the parade. Had we been at the beginning, we might have finished the parade by the time we had left. It's after the beginning that floats and groups stop and get stuck by traffic etc. But, for all I can remember from two years ago, this year's was basically the same, which means I probably only missed a few more trolleys, and the DeLoreans. Ah well.

It was painful leaving the parade. Standing in the cold for hours then attempting to walk back is no fun. Ha. And I was indeed cold. We opted to leave Chicago for lunch/dinner rather than stay because it's much more affordable out of the city. So after we stopped to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings - and after I threw up half my food (they had waaaay too much sauce on my wings) - we wandered home with everyone. We cleaned up the basement just a bit, to fit the little pool table that had been covered up for years. We also have a small tv and a wii down there too. Heh.







So that was the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. Most of St. Patrick's Day was spent sleeping/recovering, then Monday morning we headed off again, this time to Detroit for a few days. A couple friends of ours were on Spring Break that week, so they came with us. Going to share just a few pics from that trip.



 This is their abandoned train station



Ambassador Bridge is the main bridge that you cross to get from Detroit to Canada

And this is my guy standing by the Detroit River. Just across it is Canada.




It was a busy few days. Overall I enjoyed it well enough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy