Sunday, August 8, 2010

7/5 - 7/6 A Bird Bath Project

So close... together.... and when I'm with you... so close... to feeling... aliiiive. I love this part of Enchanted. Actually, I love Enchanted. Period. Such a cute movie.





Previous posts:
Planning on Catching Up
Visiting My Old Teacher
Playing with Glue
A Book I Read
Jamboree and Failed Meeting
Randomness

Another noxyism.



Okay, so in early July, I was watching tv with my dad when my brother comes in with this cheapo looking bird bath. He says something like "can you fix this?" So I assume he's talking to my dad. But no, he's talking to me. It's his girlfriend, Nubia's, dad's. He salvaged it and wants to know if it could be painted to look nicer. I... am reluctant. Because Nubia says he wants bright colors, lots of them. And well, lots of bright colors often means tacky. But I say yes. We head over to Hobby Lobby, and pick up some enamel paints and then to Walmart to get a stone colored spray paint. (Hobby Lobby may be cheaper than JoAnn Fabrics, but Walmart beats Hobby Lobby)

Here it is.
And on its side, so you can see the bottom of the bath. They very crappily painted the top of the bird bath white, and didn't care about getting white everywhere else too. And they took a green to darken the shadows in the bath. It doesn't look too bad in this picture I guess, but it looked gross in real life. The green was not a very pretty green.


It was very washed out, sun bleached.

The sun bleaching made the bunny's brown eyes look almost red, and from straight on, the bunny looked almost demonic. lol.


First things first:
I spray painted the entire thing all one color.


The bunny has... mumps? It looks sick in this color. Poor sick bunny.



My brother Jimmy ended up helping me with the painting, I'm very grateful for that, because it sped up the process.


Progress shots:
The multi-colored flower is special because its stem was Jimmy's first painting contribution. We had assumed he would only help with the one stem and leaf and that's it, but he ended up helping with the flowers too.

I painted his eyes all black, because the brown eyes he originally had just didn't look right.


The finished multi-colored flower. It's blurry. I actually didn't take any full pictures of the finished bird bath. Ha. I'll have to see if Nubia did. I'm pretty sure she did. I just forgot.


I think I like the bunny. The flowers have too many colors for my tastes. But what matters is Nuba's dad. He loved it! Yay!


Oh and I'll finish with my July 4th cookies.
They're all supposed to be pretzel shaped. The recipe is just for plain looking sugar cookie pretzels, but, since it was Independence Day I wanted to do a red, white, and blue thing. We had red food coloring, and yellow and green, but no blue! I was so sad... until I found the blue colored sugar. Perfect! Hehe. The problem was the dough kept cracking whenever I tried to roll it out to make pretzels. So After 4 or so, I gave up. I made a couple flags, then turned the rest into plain circle sugar cookies. but I thought they all looked lovely. Hehe. These are probably the only sugar cookies I've found that I actually like. Most sugar cookies have a weird after taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy