Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Scotch Eggs Recipe!

Scotch eggs, ever heard of them? Traditionally they're simply hard-boiled eggs... wrapped in sausage meat... covered in bread crumbs... and deep fried. They're quite tasty!

I was first introduced to scotch eggs via Sorted Food back in 2010. I have since made it half a dozen or so times, all in different ways. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of most sausage meats, so while I have tried them that way, I prefer them in almost every other way I've made them. lol.

Here's the recipe:


Scotch Eggs
  • Eggs
  • Ground sausage*
  • Flour
  • More eggs
  • Breadcrumbs** 
  • Oil
*While sausage is traditional, any ground meat can work here.
**Again, breadcrumbs are traditional, but any crumbs can work.


Hard boil eggs. Let cool. Then peel.

Wrap eggs in a layer of raw sausage meat.

Roll in flour

Roll in egg wash (a couple raw eggs slightly beaten)

Roll in breadcrumbs

Fry in a pan with a lot of oil (at around 350F) for 2-4 minutes.


That's it! Fairly simple.



I have some pictures of the process! I made these last week and my guy was kind enough to take a couple pics.




Eggs

I used ground beef this time

egg wash

flour

Breadcrumbs



cover egg in meat

roll in flour

roll in egg

roll in breadcrumbs


Place ball in hot oil






This was my guy's pictures of his scotch eggs





And here's mine - they're easier to eat if you cut them in half



I very much enjoy them. My guy likes them with ketchup. I like them either plain, with a sprinkle of salt over the egg, or with ranch.

I believe the ratio is approx 4 eggs to 1lb of meat.


The meats I've tried are sausage, ground beef, and ground turkey. I think ground turkey might be my favorite - though that might be cause I liked the crumbs I used in addition to that. Sorted Food also has a salmon scotch egg recipe that features ground salmon and soft boiled eggs... I look forward to trying that some time.

The crumbs I've tried are bread crumbs, saltine cracker crumbs, and crouton crumbs. My favorite by far is the crouton crumbs. It adds flavor, which makes sense, because sausage meat usually has a ton of flavor, and I don't like it. So I use unflavored ground meats, and prefer the seasoned crouton crumbs. Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy