Sunday, April 28, 2013

When I first used the internet....

I thought for today this post could be a quick one. Just a writey one and not many pictures. One where I might ramble off on tangents. lol. Seeing as how a lot of my life is spent on the internet, I wanted to share a quick story on my first experience on the web.



I must have been 11 or 12. My then best friend lived in a different city than I did, because I'd moved away. Every couple of months though, our moms would take turns hosting the other's kid for a weekend sleepover so we could still see each other. (That lasted until around freshman or sophomore year of high school.)

Anyhoo, on a weekend where I was to visit her, I learned she got a computer with the internet on it. We spent most of that weekend playing with her Petz, which was a computer game that let you care for dogz and catz. It was also one of the first computer games I purchased when our family got a computer, and led to my first "successful" website. If I remember correctly, it was a Petz adoption site called Happy Benny's Petz Kennel... it took me nearly an hour to remember that... but I did. I spent most of that hour googling random keywords that might bring memories back - like I was doing a web search in my brain. Benny was a black giant chihuahua - which was achieved by breeding a female labrador with a male chihuahua. I spent a LOT of time trying to breed more giant chihuahuas. lol.

ANYHOO... She probably showed me some websites, but I honestly can't remember any she showed me. Then she got hungry and offered me her seat at the computer. I was now sitting at a computer with an internet connection. I potentially had the whole world at my fingertips. The first website I typed in to the address bar?



http://www.stupid.com



I do not remember if I was trying to be clever (I was 12) and see if something stupid would show up, or if I was just bored of it. lol. But I was highly entertained by the stupid things for sale on that site. I put that on my list of sites to go back to someday when I have money.  Since then I have purchased a Gumby patriotic pin (about seven years ago, it is no longer available on the site.) and two boxes of flavored grasshoppers. (probably about four years ago, got them in salt & vinegar, and sour cream & onion. Lost that second box though. Ah well. I don't believe those are available anymore either, but they were there for a loooong time. I know that because if I log on to my AOL Instant Messenger name, my "info" was copied from the description of the grasshoppers and pasted with a link to them. And AIM was a loooooong time ago for me.)

Checking out the site now, I see they have a giant inflatable TARDIS I'm interested in. Maybe someday.

But yeah... so that was my first experience playing on the internet for the first time. Fun stuff. Fun. Stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy