Wednesday, April 6, 2011

somewheres and Harry Potter



Hello. Today will be a quick post I think. I hadn't planned on sleeping so long. lol.

day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere

Hmmm.... oh okeys, I got this... wait for it....

Alright, so I started thinking of "somewheres" and decided to think back to the earliest "somewhere" I could think of that relates to a song.


Roxette - It Must Have Been Love


I must have been four years old. Possibly five, but five was when we moved, and in the "somewhere" it was summer, and I turn five in winter... so I must have been four. Ha. My parents had a video camera, though I can't remember how. Borrowed maybe? And they decided to pull out our kiddie pool in to our front yard and video tape us playing. They turned the radio on (B96) and this was one of the songs that played. When I hear it I can remember sitting in the inflatable pool, feel the cold water, the smell of cold water from a hose. I can see the little fishies on the pool, and I can hear my mom talking to my dad.

The video has since died. This is a new discovery. I popped it in for a benpals video (the same one I shared yesterday to show Sarah) and was very upset to find that it was gone. But back when it WAS still watchable, I'd always get an eerie feeling when I saw that part. As soon as the song started, I'd remember it all, while watching myself on the video. Like I was both a part of that memory, and watching from afar.



Usher - You Make Me Wanna...


When this song first came out, ('97) I was in Des Plaines. My friend Czarina was just introducing me to boy bands, (Backstreet Boys and Hanson were just popping up. So was Aaron Carter - who's a brother of a boy band member, but he was mainly popping up in the Philippines... Czarina was filipino so she would have video tapes of performances by them on various filipino shows)  and all I ever heard from her when the subject of music was brought up was various forms of "Backstreet Boys BSB Nick Carter Aaron Carter Hanson Taylor OMG". (Except back then it was oh my god because we hadn't fallen in to the ways of text speak yet.)  EXCEPT for this song. She thought Usher looked so sexy in the video. She loved the song too. She would sing it at recess. And try to do the dance moves. And so when I hear that song (which is much less often than I hear the first) I'm transported to recess at North Elementary. Not always that specific moment of her singing it, but recess itself. I would remember playing basketball and swinging my classmates around in circles, only to let them go flying in a random direction. (er.... I was um... pretty strong back then. And so that was a popular game. Fun for me too. rofl) Ahhhh.... memories.


Okay, I get distracted when writing blog posts. This isn't new. Blog posts tend to take three times as long because of it. I just wandered off to read Joyfulgirl42's beda for today, which was how she first discovered Harry Potter. I shall now share my story.

I can't remember. ROFL. I can't remember when I first heard about HP. My friends were all huge fans, and I couldn't be bothered by it. But then, when the first movie came out, a couple of my friends wanted to go, and I decided I wanted to too. I borrowed one of their HP1 books, and read the entire thing that night when I came home from school. I had to - we were seeing the movie the next night. I thought it was alright, but nothing too special. I think honestly, my brain was rebelling. My friends were all like "OMG READ THE FIRST ONE AND YOU'LL BE HOOKED!"  so naturally my brain was like "No! Ah heee heee heee haaa haa!!"

So that's how it went. I would read the next Harry Potter book only when the next movie was coming out.  But then came the time right around when the fifth movie was coming out. I was wandering a store at around 10:30pm one night with a friend, and saw a line forming. The seventh book was coming out at midnight. And I thought... eh, what the heck? I'm here anyway. So she and I waited in line. She wasn't planning on buying the book, but we both took one anyway, and I gave the extra to the very last person in line. This person was in the middle of saying something like "Oh man, I hope they don't sell out by the time we get there!"  when I walked up to her with the book and said "Merry christmas!"  She looked confused, then confirmed I was serious, and proceeded to thank me. That's when it got a bit awkward, because we were now both headed towards the same end of the store - me just a few steps ahead - so she spent the time thanking me as I walked. Ha. But that was the first book I bought.

Then came the dilemma. I had only read books 1-5. I now had 7. Would I be able to wait to read it? No. I had the frickin' book. So I borrowed someone's 6th, and read 6 and 7 before the 5th movie came out. Then, shortly after seeing the movie, because it had been ages since I'd read the first, I read all 7 books. And then again. I realized my rebellious young self was a stupid git, and that I'd been missing out on a great series. It took a while, but eventually I would come to own my own copies of 1-6 as well. My goal is for all of them to be in hardcover. (I think my 6 is paperback, so I'm close.)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that song!! Roxette's It Must Have Been Love always makes me think of Pretty Woman, which I loved from when I was a little kid. Even though the song is talking about a love that's over, for some reason I never associated it with heartbreak. Because the movie had a happy ending (I'm a romantic at heart so I'm SOO a sucker for the fairytale ending)I always felt cheesy happy and hopeful when I heard the song! =)

    ReplyDelete

Comment comment comment comment? Cheep cheep!

 

noxyism Copyright © 2013 by noxy